We are a “green” business: In these challenging times of climate crisis and biological meltdown (loss of biological diversity due to habitat destruction, pollution, climate change, competition with exotic species etc.), we believe that it’s the responsibility of all businesses to help solve these and related environmental problems.
- Some of our green practices include solar-powered home office and fitness room, energy efficient lighting, extensive recycling, and the use of organic and/or natural food products on our trips.
- Big Wild Adventures owners, Howie Wolke and Marilyn Olsen, are long-time activists in the western public lands conservation movement. Howie is a nationally known conservation writer (author of two books on the vanishing American wilderness and of many dozens of articles) and wilderness advocate.
- Howie and Marilyn are founders of Montanans for Gallatin Wilderness. Howie also co-founded the original Earth First! (A different animal than the current version), the original Wyoming Wilderness Association, and Friends of the Bitterroot (with Marilyn and others).
- Howie and Marilyn also founded and run our sister organization, Big Wild Advocates, which provides activist and educational services to various local and regional conservation groups, including the production and publication of a number of cutting edge reports on vital conservation topics.
- Howie is the past president of the national conservation group Wilderness Watch, and is a former instructor of Environmental Studies at Montana State University–Billings, where he designed and taught his course “The American Wilderness.”
- Big Wild practices and has innovated low-impact wilderness use techniques. For more information, click here.
- Our guides are also committed conservation activists (see our Backpacking Staff page).
- We support and contribute to the efforts of political candidates – regardless of party affiliation – who promote effective efforts to protect and restore the natural environment.